Health Benefits of Drinking Beer-20 Health Benefits Of Drinking Beer
Beer is one of the most commonly used alcoholic drinks in the world and it is third most popular drink in the world, right after tea and water. In the year 822AD hops was introduced into beer production and Germany was the first country to use it. Germany was also the first country to implement ingredient regulation with The Reinheitsgebot of 1516, also known as The Purity Law. This law dictated that beer should be made of water, yeast, barley and hops.
Brewing beer requires few ingredients that are considered as a standard for this product. These are:
- Water: Water is a transparent, tasteless, odorless, and nearly colorless chemical substance that is the constituent of all organisms. Beer is made mostly of water. Different regions have water of different mineral composition which affects the flavor of the beer and that is why beers with same ingredients and formula from different regions can taste differently.
- Barley: Barley is a member of the grass family, is a major cereal grain grown in temperate climates globally. It is the main ingredient of the beer. Barley grains are usually low in proteins and fat, but they are rich in starch. Starch is consisted of sugar molecules and it is grain’s food reserve.
- Hops: Hops are the flowers of the hop plant Humulus lupulus. They are used primarily as a flavoring and stability agent in beer, to which they impart bitter, zesty, or citric flavors;It serves as a spice in the beer making industry.
- Yeast: Yeasts are eukaryotic, single-celled microorganisms classified as members of the fungus kingdom. It produces flavor compounds and it is responsible for the fermentation of the beer. The function of the yeast is to metabolize sugars which were extracted from grains. This process leads to production of alcohol and carbon dioxide, in other words, it turns wort (liquid that is extracted during the brewing process) into beer.
It is usually believed that alcoholic beverages can only damage our brain, heart, and other organs. Regular consumption of alcoholic drinks is associated with damage and deterioration of our mind, body, and soul.
However, beer has many health benefits and can improve* our overall health in a lot of different ways. This article will discuss health benefits that come with consumption of beer.
Below are 20 Selected Health Benefits of Drinking Beer
1. Lowers the cholesterol level: The high amounts of fiber in beer can lower the LDL(Low Density Lipoprotein) cholesterol levels. It helps removes the low-density or bad cholesterol and plaque build up in the arteries.
2. Rich in Vitamins: Beer is a rich source of vitamins, it is rich in vitamins B1,B2,B6,B12 and experts claim that people who drinks beer have 30% higher level of vitamin B6.
3. Lowers blood pressure:People who drink beer are less likely to develop high blood pressure. High blood pressure can lead to numerous problems and affect heart and coronary arteries, and potentially leads to stroke.
4. Reduce risk of diabetes: A study found that middle-aged men were able to reduce their risk of developing type 2 diabetes by moderately increasing their alcohol consumption, which in turn boosted their insulin sensitivity.
5. Reduces risk of cancer: It contains an antioxidant known as xanthohumol which help reduces the risk of cancers especially prostate cancer in men and breast cancer in women.
6. Promotes stronger heart; Beer is known to lower the risks of heart attack.
7. Increases brain health: A glass of beer a day can increase the amount of dopamine in your brain, leaving you calmer and more relaxed.
8. Strengthens the bones: Beer makes the bone stronger and denser with the help of the silicon which it contains, Beer drinkers have increased bone density and are less likely to suffer from osteoporosis than non-drinkers.
9. Reduces risk of heart disease: Beer also reduces your risk of heart diseases by lowering inflammations in the body, thinning the blood and preventing clots which can block our coronary arteries. Research has shown that dark ale and stouts are especially effective in reducing your risk of heart diseases.
10. Helps the kidneys: Beer protects the kidney and one bottle of it a day can lower the risk of kidney stones by 40%.
11. Beer is packed with nutrition: Beer contains a lot of nutrients that can support your over all health. The nutrients depend on the individual beer but since most brands are made with whole grain, wheat, maize or rice, fruits and spices, you are usually ingesting soluble fiber and even small amount of iron, magnesium and potassium.
12. It helps you think like a Genius: A glass a day can make you act smarts and think like a genius, Beer has a positive effects on our problem solving abilities.
13. Clear vision: Beer antioxidants particularly those found in ales and stouts can actually help protects your eye by preventing mitochondrial damages. Damage to mitochondrial is responsible for cataracts later in life. A glass a day can help prevents this risk.
14. Fight off infections: Beer can improve the immune system and protects our body from infection.
15. Exfoliates dead skin cells: One bottle of beer per day will make the skin smoother, shinier and suppler and you will look much younger.
16. Aids in digestions: Beer is a great source of fiber (especially dark beer). It is also a better choice than wine which doesn’t contain fiber.Fiber increases digestions in our intestinal system. Fiber deficiency can cause intestinal and gastric disorders.
17. Promotes urination: Beer nutrients is over 90% water which encourages urination
18. Reduces stress: Beer is a great ally for fighting off stress. 2 glasses of beer per day can decrease the chances of anxiety and occupational stress.
19. Reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s and dementia: According to a recent study people who drink beer had less risk of having Alzeheimer’s and dementia than those who don’t drink it.
20. It helps fight off insomnia: Beer is great for people who suffer from insomnia as it has nicotine and lactoflavin acid content which better the quality of sleeps and gives relief from insomnia.
Caution:Drinking excessive amounts (Addictions) is very dangerous to your health. Remember whatever that has advantage also comes with a lot of disadvantages. Moderation is required when consuming an alcoholic contents.